The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
– Mark Twain
Having a clear sense of purpose is a powerful motivator. One of the best resources I provide people is teaching them how to gain clarity around what they are trying to achieve.
My own personal mission is: To help others use their unique talents and abilities to make meaningful contributions in the world.
As such, I felt I had to share these tips with you.
Things to Think About
- What is your WHY? Try to articulate your purpose in life. Why are you here on earth? What will be your impact?
- What will be the legacy you leave behind? How will the world have changed because you were here?
- What drives and inspires you? What are you passionate about? What would be your life’s work if you didn’t need to earn money?
- Think of this like your “brand.” What do you want to be known for, or how do you want to be seen by others?
- A well-developed personal mission will help focus your time and energy and can assist you in making important life and career decisions.
- Needs to be significant and meaningful to you. It should not be too generic but reflect your unique strengths and talents.
- Consider your impact broadly and include how you will contribute value. What outcomes do you want to achieve beyond your own goals?
- Be proud to share your mission statement. It will help you to connect to your stakeholders (those you serve & lead) by clearly defining what you value most and what is motivating your behavior.
- Don’t put pressure on yourself to make it perfect, it should evolve over time, just like you will!
Your Mission Statement Equation
PURPOSE = The value you create + who you’re creating it for + the desired outcome
I use my passion & expertise in technology + to inspire researchers + to create drugs to cure rare diseases.
“I’m on a mission to wake people up to changes that need to be made in the industry.”
“To use my gifts of intelligence, charisma, and serial optimism to cultivate the self-worth and net-worth of women around the world.”
“To have fun in [my] journey through life and learn from [my] mistakes.” –Sir Richard Branson
“I want to use my superpowers to inspire others to be better than they believed they could be.”
“To use my strategic abilities and communication skills to inspire cultural change for my company.”
Now, it’s your turn!