You made it through 2020 and are poised for a fresh start in the new year. As you begin a new chapter in 2021, it’s my hope that the following set of questions will serve as a valuable framework for reflecting on your past year, both personally and professionally as a leader, and as a helpful planning tool for you to set clear intentions and thrive in your new year.
Life is busy. It is easy to find yourself on autopilot or getting derailed by distractions or firefighting. The choices you make each day, as a person and as a leader, matter. They’re the stepping stones that move you forward, backward, or sometimes keep you feeling stuck.
Your choices help define who you are and where you’re headed. They impact a myriad of things, such as your health and wellness, relationships, spirituality and community service, as well your career, finances, learning and growth.
As John Wooden said:
“There is a choice you have to make in everything you do. So, keep in mind that, in the end, the choice you make makes you.”
2021 can be a year of more intentional choices and better outcomes for you.
12 Questions for a Thriving 2021
- On a scale of 1-10, how happy am I with my past year? What would move that ranking higher?
- Where did I succeed? What am I most proud of from the past year? Where did I make a difference?
- What did I enjoy most?
- What are my top 5 values? Did my calendar reflect this?
- What do I wish I would have done differently? (Be honest with yourself about where you were not so successful, missed opportunities, where you wish you’d shown up differently, spent more time, etc.)
- What challenges did I face and what did I learn from them? (We often power through without reflecting on lessons learned from the tough times.)
- What progress did I make on professional and personal goals?
- What do I need to keep doing?
- What do I want to do differently, or start doing? (Rather than focusing on the negative, think about the positive behavior you want to move toward.)
- What key relationships do I want to build or enhance?
- How will I generate the energy I need to be vibrant in all key areas of my life?
- What are my top priorities for the new year and who can help me achieve them?
Cheers to a happy, healthy and intentionally successful new year!